Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Girl 9, shaves head to support friend with cancer: barred from school

You've heard the expression "you can't make this stuff up," well you need to hear this one.

The semi-prestigious Caprock Academy in Grand Junction, Colorado banned little 9 year old Kamryn Renfro from school because she shaved her head in support of her friend, Delaney, who's undergoing chemotherapy for cancer.

Wendy, Delaney's mom, said the school's move surprised her, but in a time in history where a kindergarten child chews a cookie into the shape of a pistol and is banned for that, nothing surprises me anymore. Wendy stated: "I didn't realize that hair was such an important aspect of a child at school. For a little girl to be really brave and want to shave her head in support of her friend, I thought that was a huge statement and it builds character in a child."


Catherine Norton Breman XIV, (kidding about the XIV), president and Chair of the academy's board of directors, said the dress code "was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted."

Well, if they want to promote uniformity, maybe all the students should have crew-cuts and pageboys. That ought to promote non-distraction.

The story was originally brought to light by the parents of both girls when they posted photos on Facebook. See, sometimes social media can be a good thing.

As it now stands, Kamryn is back in class, but the final decision of the board of directors is going to be made tonight. I believe the exposure to their lunacy will make them vote for her to remain in school, but with pompous, pusillanimous educators, you never know.

We've reached a point in time where the people running the show want to determine every aspect of our lives. Maybe it's time for us to refuse their demands. If I want to drink a 16 ounce soda in Manhattan, I don't want some damn bureaucrat telling me I can't because it isn't good for my health. He isn't my boss and certainly not my parent. My parents had the intelligence to allow me as an adult, to make my own decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Biden makes a pack with the devil over abortion

President Joe Biden of Scranton has allegedly made a pack with Beelzebub regarding the issue of abortion, aka depriving people the right to ...