Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gay Schmay--Who Cares?

Is there something wrong with me that I get a bit nostalgic over the time when there were movies and other media that didn't have a perfunctory gay moment? Sure, you could say I'm homophobic, Islamophobic, and any other kind of phobic as a way of ending the discussion, but I honestly wish that people kept their sexual preferences to themselves.

A gay basketball player comes out of the closet (as if there are still closets of shame being gay--duh) and gets a phone call from Barack Obama telling him what a hero he is for telling the world he's gay. So who cares that he likes having sex with guys instead of women? For some reason I do not find that kind of admission heroic--there is no risk, nothing gained. I find admitting you're gay to be the new hip, new chic. I find our men and women in the military to be our real heroes.

And I do not have a problem with homosexual people anymore than I have a problem with heterosexual people. I just don't believe it needs to be shoved in our faces. As far as same-sex marriage, I believe it changes the definition of what I've always thought marriage is--but if two people of the same sex want to get married, I don't care. Really. I simply do not care but for some reason I believe that GLAAD wants me to care, wants me to condone it. But I don't condone it and I don't condemn it. 

If people need some kind of pride parade to honor who they are, I suspect they aren't as happy with who they are as they pretend to be. I certainly can be wrong about this, but that's my right.

But if photographers don't have the right to refuse to provide their services to a same-sex marriage, why does Starbucks have the right to provide service to police officers in uniform with their gun?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Biden makes a pack with the devil over abortion

President Joe Biden of Scranton has allegedly made a pack with Beelzebub regarding the issue of abortion, aka depriving people the right to ...