Thursday, January 16, 2014

Brooklyn Beheading Islamic Style




Tuesday, January 8th, in the Kensington section of Brooklyn, New York, a 27 year old Islamic man named Rasel Siddiquee, had an argument with his landlord, 57 year old Mahuddin Mahmud. The argument ended with Siddiquee almost totally beheading Mahmud and burning his face. Then Siddiquee stole about $20 thousand from the victim's safe and headed out to JFK Airport where he was apprehended. Upon capture he blurted to authorities, "I killed someone today."

Mahmud was a father of three and had come to the USA from Bangladesh several decades ago. He owned a small computer business and never had problems with the law. Saddiquee lived in his basement, after arriving from Bangladesh about three years ago, and since Muslims are the second largest group of illegal immigrants in New York, it is highly likely Siddiquee fell into this category. In fact, I'd bet my Koran on it. With what happened in 2001, on September 11th, I'm at a loss to understand why illegal immigrants aren't legally dealt with.

The local papers covered the story with a heading: "Rasel Siddiquee arrested in
murder of Mahuddin Mahmud in Kensington." I believe there are more relevant issues at play, like the way the victim was killed, as well as where the murderer was from, and the fact that beheading is styled from the suggestion from the Koran that tells Muslims to "smite your enemy on the neck."

I no longer live in Brooklyn, but I was born and raised there. I grew up in the Kensington section of Brooklyn and moved back to this neighborhood about ten years ago, living across the street from the grammar school I attended as a child. 

Clearly the neighborhood changed over the years. The movie theater where I saw Jerry Lewis in person (he was not children-friendly) was now broken up into several stores--mostly 99 cent joints. The bakery we used was Bangladesh and the kulfi ice cream was delicious. One a year the Bangladeshi community had a street fair along McDonald and Church Avenues. 

But when I walked along McDonald Avenue with my Indian wife, we got what seemed to be negative stares from the locals. This was especially evident when we walked the several blocks to the street fair. Guys with Islamic sweatbands would look at us as if we didn't belong there; as if they owned the streets. It was discomforting.

My wife and I moved away three years ago, around the same time Siddiquee moved to the area. The thing about the Islamic style murder that surprises me isn't that it happened; it's that it didn't happen sooner.

I will always miss Brooklyn, but not the Brooklyn that exists today.


My latest suspense novel, Jihad Joe, is about Islamic terrorism.  The precepts of Islam are challenged by a journalist, captured by terrorists and who is destined to be killed if the American President refuses to release three Gitmo prisoners.  Of course, American policy demands we never give in to terrorists, and for Zed, the clock is ticking.
                                             


No comments:

Post a Comment

The imbalance of nature: blame the Jews

Iran launched an unprecedented attack on Israel on Saturday night, April 13, using over 300 rockets, missiles and UAVs to assault the civili...